Monday 12 January 2015

Christmas Day Swim

Number 16 on my #40before40 list was to enjoy a Christmas Day swim.

It was something I'd never done, despite the fact I grew up in Falmouth and lived just a stone's throw from the beach from the age of seven to 19.

I was joined in the challenge by Olivia, my mother-in-law (Cathie), brother-in-law (Dan) and the family dog (Sampson).

Luckily it was a sunny Christmas Day this year, so it made the prospect much more palatable.

We headed down to the car park by Gyllyngvase Beach in Falmouth where we met the family and changed into our wetsuits.

I know we should have done it in just our swimming costumes, but it was on the second time I'd been in the sea in Cornwall this year and I wanted to keep warm.


Gyllyngvase Beach, Christmas Day



Me, Olivia, Dan, Cathie and Sampson pre-swim



Testing the water



Dan thought it was a bit cold











What surprised me was how many people where in the sea, especially the amount without a wetsuit. 

I was impressed with their bravery.

After we'd got out we headed back to the carpark where Cathie's camper van was parked for tea, croissants and smoked salmon sandwiches. 

I could quite happily make it an annual event as it was a good way to start Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment