Friday 12 September 2014

Sign up for a Donor Card

Number 24 on my list, and a new addition since I started the challenge back in January, was to sign up for a Donor Card.

Being a donor was one of those things that I had half thought about, but never got round to doing.

It didn't really seem that important to me when I was younger - there were always other people on the list, so it doesn't matter if I didn't do it.



I guess my thoughts about this, and other medical issues, have changed since becoming a parent. You always wonder what would happen if one of your children needed medical support, such as a new organ.

But it was only when I was buying my car tax online that it really crossed my mind.

After I'd finished to process of obtaining my new tax disc, a screen on the DVLA website popped up asking if I'd like to sign up as a donor.

"Why not?" I thought.

And on a spur of a moment I entered my details and was added to the NHS Organ Donor Register.

I then told Mrs P and my parents my decision (I know my Dad and Rachel have both had cards for years).

A couple of weeks later I had a letter from the NHS Blood and Transplant department containing my Donor Card.


Now, while I think this a great thing to do, I didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling after reading the opening sentence in the letter:

"Thank you for joining the NHS Organ Donor Register and making the commitment to help other live after your death."

There you go, straight in at the end of the first sentence - "your death".

I understand what the card is for, and what will happen if you die, and how your organs can be used to save other people. I'm just not so sure I want to read it in the first sentence of a thank you letter, especially as the essence of this blog, and the challenges within, are about celebrating life.

Maybe I'm just being a little squeamish about the thought.

Anyway, as a result of my spur of the moment decision after buying my tax disc, someone somewhere in the future might end up with a part or parts of me.



And if that's you, I hope you look after them, they've been very good to me - so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment